Have you cleaned your mattress lately? Though bed sheets and blankets may receive regular cleaning, mattresses are often left out. You might think forgetting to clean your mattress is no big deal, but sheets and mattress pads aren’t airtight when it comes to protecting against sweat, spills, and dust, leaving your mattress vulnerable to grime and bacteria. Fortunately, you can remedy this at home with baking soda and a vacuum cleaner. Read on to learn how.
• Remove all of your bedding, including the mattress pad or protector.
• Vacuum the top and sides of the mattress using a freshly sanitized upholstery vacuum attachment. Work in slow circles to pick up as much dirt as possible.
• Sprinkle the mattress top with a layer of baking soda and let it sit for several hours. If you’re able, add some sunlight and let it sit for a full 24 hours. Why baking soda? This common household staple deodorizes, removes moisture and breaks up dirt and grime. Keep in mind that, if this is the first time you’ve ever deep cleaned your mattress, you can use an entire one-pound box of baking soda.
• Vacuum again with the attachment, removing all baking soda and residue.
• If stuffy or smelly, air out the bedroom by opening windows or turning on a fan.
• Using cleaning spray and a soft cloth, clean the bed frame and box spring. Wipe down metal and wood frames and vacuum fabric headboards, if necessary.
• Place clean bedding back on the bed. Per the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, you should always launder bedding in hot water and dry on high heat.
Staying on top of your personal and professional life can be a challenge. At The District Flats Apartments in Lenexa, Kansas, we hope to make your daily routine a bit easier with tips and tricks that can be applied to every aspect of life.