Defined as a strong, sweet alcoholic beverage that is usually consumed after a meal, the liqueur is a key component of any budding mixologist’s bar cart. When flavored with amaretto, it becomes an essential ingredient in cocktails like the Amaretto Sour and the Godfather. While it’s easy to find amaretto liqueur by brands like Disaronno and Lazzaroni, it’s very simple to make your own at home, using a handful of common pantry ingredients. Try this delicious recipe by The Spruce Eats and see for yourself!
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup white granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 2 cups vodka
• 2 tablespoons almond extract
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Gather the ingredients.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil and add the sugars. Reduce the heat, simmer, and stir constantly until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Remove the syrup from the heat and allow it to cool completely.
4. Add the vodka and flavoring extracts and stir until it's well mixed.
5. Pour the amaretto liqueur through a funnel into a bottle and seal.
6. Serve the amaretto on its own over ice or mix it into your favorite cocktails and enjoy.
Shake up your cocktails – and put your fully equipped kitchen to use – with this easy-to-follow recipe, courtesy of The District Flats Apartments in Lenexa, Kansas.