After a long day, it can be tempting to order take-out for dinner. Instead of settling, the team at The District Flats Apartments in Lenexa, Kansas would like to suggest this delicious and nutritious alternative!
Feeling particularly ravenous this morning? Sometimes, you just want to go the extra mile and make a decadent breakfast. If this is the case, then you should totally indulge in this recipe for Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast! All you really need are some fresh berries, soft cream cheese, lemon zest, and brown sugar – plus, a few other easy-to-find ingredients – and you’ll be in breakfast utopia! Here are the ingredients you need, as well as the directions you should follow, provided below.
For the French Toast
- 1 loaf Texas Toast or any thick bread, approximately 8-10 slices
- (1) 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- 2/3 cup strawberries, sliced into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter for pan
- Fresh berries (blueberries, blackberries and/or strawberries)
- Powdered sugar
- Real maple syrup
- Fresh whipped cream
- In a small bowl, beat together cream cheese, jam, and lemon zest. Fold in fresh strawberries. Spoon mixture on piece of bread and top with another piece of bread.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, and brown sugar.
- Heat skillet on medium low heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter per French toast.
- Working in batches, dip each piece of French toast into custard batter. Let each side soak for about 10 seconds. Add the soaked slices to the sizzling butter in the skillet.
- Cook until golden brown – about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve with fresh berries, powdered sugar, whipped cream, and real maple syrup.